There is a new Lifetime reality show called How to look Good Naked in which Carson Kressley from Queer Eye fame shows ladies how to accept the reality of how they look. Size acceptance in America is borderline obsessive compulsive disorder. Part of the reason that Full Figure Plus exists is to help ladies and a few men deal with size acceptance in a positive way. I bet your wondering where the naked part comes in. Carson asks the ladies to take a look at their body in a 360 degree mirror in just bra an panties. Ok, so it only part naked the rest comes later.
My wife is one of millions of plus size ladies that have issue with parts of their bodies. For her its the rolls of her stomach. Though I have no problem with her body I understand what she is thinking. Its all about perception. Ladies are bombarded daily with images of super skinny models as the standard for beauty even though men like me are constantly saying its not a good thing for a grown woman to look like a teenage boy.
When Carson took Layla into Lane Bryant to talk to aspecialist some interesting facts were revealed. The first fact is that 85% of women are wearing the wrong size bra. I have written about this before so it was no surprise. What did shock me was the consultant saying that 10% of a bras support come form the straps the other 90% comes from the band. In conversations that I have had with my wife about her bras we talk more about the straps than the band which means we have focused on the wrong areas. In other words, wrong fitting bras equal a distorted body image in the mirror adding to the perception that big is not beautiful.
After flaunting the young lady in her bra an panties to the rest of the store it was finally coming out that Layla was finally seeing her hips and curves as sexy. She also came to the conclusion that no amount of diet can change the perception. The final step was for her to pose nude for a professional photographer. Though apprehensive at first she agreed and was glad that she did it. Told you there would be nudity involved.
On the website there are different features including a message board for visitors to post comments. After a quick scan it was clear that the fat and gay bashers will be all over this. Regardless of what the critics think How to Look Good Naked will raise a lot of questions that need to be answered and hopefully help ladies and some men be honest about the perception of beauty involving larger women.